Friday, March 16, 2018

Making Trivia Fun Again

I'm a trivia fan from way back. As captain of the academic team in high school, I was a quick-recall fiend and friends would call me the "Queen of Useless Knowledge." I'm #blessed to be pretty good at remembering facts and figures. My university had an academic team, but I didn't join. It just didn't seem to be the same. I tried out for the Jeopardy Teen Tourney and have been trying to get on for years. T I searched for a way to expel some of the bits of knowledge from my brain for years until I discovered pub trivia.

Lexington now has a few options for those of us who love getting our quiz on. The OG in town is Local Trivia Action. Boasting a schedule of nearly 50 shows 7 days a week. It's a great option for lovers of the traditional team trivia show. Played over 6 rounds with a half-time bonus, trivia with LTA takes place in 30+ restaurants and bars. Teams take home bar cash for top three and best team name at most games and can be any size. The shows are fun, hosts play music between questions to give players a chance to answer. Games run about two hours and are held at times fitting all schedules.

I'm partial to Local Trivia Action, because I've been a host before, so when I say that it's a ton of fun and well worth your time, I'd be biased. But! It's a ton of fun and well worth your time. Part of the experience is the atmosphere of the venue. Malabu Pub, for example, is your quintessential dive bar and owns that moniker proudly. Other locations for weekly games include the chain favorite TGI Fridays and grocery stores Whole Foods, Luckey's, and Good Foods Co-Op. They do many themed shows. I played in an Academy Awards themed show right after the Oscar's. We placed second!

Geeks Who Drink is also hosting shows in Lexington, at HopCat and The Barn at the Summit. They
had been hosting at Pivot Brewing, but I see that it has been removed from their schedule. This style of pub quiz is different than Local Trivia Action in that the first round is a "name that tune" round followed by another audio quiz featuring clips from tv and movies. They restrict team size to 6. Geeks Who Drink is a national chain and host many shows all over the country. Find out more here.

There are other opportunities for trivia which pop up often. Soundbar, Cosmic Charlies and a few other spots have been doing many themed trivia nights. Harry Potter, as one can imagine, is a pretty hot ticket. The Pub (RIP) consistently had sold out Harry Potter nights and Cosmic Charlie's had so many at their HP show that the game took 4+ hours. Facebook is generally your best bet to find out about special shows around town!

If you're not feeling much like going out to play, play trivia in the comfort of your home by playing Trivia Crack, HQTrivia, and Cash Show. All three games allow you to play against real people. The latter two award cash prizes for answering 12 questions in a row. Between the two live game shows, HQ definitely has the most players, but Cash Show is getting better. I'm really impressed at the difficulty of the questions!

If you're ever looking for someone to play trivia with, give me a holler! I play with a core group who all have their own strengths and areas where they specialize. We also come up with prize-winning team names like "The Shape of Water should've been called 'Grinding Nemo'" and "Better Late Than Pregnant." I love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on a scentventure with Cowboy & Cricket Candle Co.

The slogan of Cowboy & Cricket Candle Company says that they create extraordinary scents for extraordinary people. I love candles bec...