Thursday, February 8, 2018

Getting Hygge With It



Image may contain: indoor
Aesthetic - image from TheDivine_MissN on Instagram
I recently read of the Danish concept of hygge. It would seem that the news of this practice of coziness broke in late 2016, but I didn't discover it until just a few weeks ago. Though there is no English translation, cozy does come the closest, and the Danes have it right on the money. I love being cozy. I like blankets and I obsessed over the Snuggie when they were first introduced.

When I signed the lease on my apartment back in June, I knew that I wanted to cultivate a space where I felt comfortable and I could also welcome others. Thanks to crowdsourcing a name from friends, Ransom Retreat was born. I even made a Facebook page so I could check in. No one can accuse me of not committing to a theme. :-D




Delving more into hygge, I found that cozy really is what you make of it. Right now, for me, that's my snowflake lights that I bought at Dollar General of all places. I love ambient light and these twinkle and create a nice glow. I plan to leave them up until Spring since for me snow-themed decor isn't just for Christmastime. I'm de-Christmasing this week and am trying to figure out the next big theme for my living room. It was delightfully spoopy during Halloween.

According to my research, candles also make a space hygge. I love anything apple-scented and try to keep a couple of large jar candles at the ready for my aromatic I needs.  I also appreciate the aesthetic value of candles and want to do something like this:

Candles via Style Me Pretty


My fireplace is a similar color and I love the paper chain. That's definitely something that I want to consider. I think that the candles in the fireplace look give such a homey feel. Flameless candles are certainly an option and you can even buy candles with a remote! How awesome is that? I can definitely see myself getting home from a long day, putting on a pot of tea and turning on my candles. That actually sounds really lovely.

I feel like interior design is a work in progress. At 30+ I am still working to figure out my personal style and reflect that in my home. I'm totally digging the hygge concept and I'm letting that guide my design decisions for now. I'm going to pile up the pillows, light some candles, and bask in the ambient glow.

Do you like getting cozy? Share your creature comforts in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on a scentventure with Cowboy & Cricket Candle Co.

The slogan of Cowboy & Cricket Candle Company says that they create extraordinary scents for extraordinary people. I love candles bec...